Enhancing audit committee leadership and influence
Audit committees play an extraordinarily important role in corporate governance. They are a critical player in establishing confidence and trust in capital markets by ensuring high-quality, reliable financial reporting. In addition, many audit committees are now charged with overseeing additional risks, including vitally important areas such as cybersecurity.
Chairing the audit committee of a large public company is difficult. There are no one-size-fits-all solutions. Success requires judgment, developed from personal experience and insight from others who have faced similar situations.
Since 2005, the West Audit Committee Network (WACN) has helped its members—the chairs of the audit committees at large public companies—succeed. WACN has two chapters, one that meets twice each year in Northern California and another that meets twice each year in Southern California. In addition, the two chapters meet jointly once each year. The conversations sometimes feature world-class guests, but the members’ voices dominate, and the agendas are driven by the audit chairs.
Tapestry Networks orchestrates the network, building on 15 years of convening board leaders in meaningful conversations. Tapestry helps members prepare for meetings with insightful, original reading material that draws upon tailored research and pre-meeting interviews with members and other leading thinkers. The meetings are synthesized into post-meeting publications that can be shared with colleagues. Everything is done under a non-attribution agreement that ensures candor and protects personal and company confidentiality.
Our members include:
- Eric Brandt, Gen Digital
- George Bravante, Sabre
- Traci Dolan, Steel Dynamics
- Kevin Farr, Polaris
- Mark Foletta, Dexcom and Enanta Pharmaceuticals
- Richard Goodman, Adient
- Leslie Heisz, Edwards Lifesciences
- Ginnie Henkels, LCI Industries
- Leon Janks, Pricesmart
- Liz Jenkins, Snap
- Kim Jones, TrueBlue and United Rentals
- Michelle Kerrick, American Homes 4 Rent
- Patrick Kinsella, PennyMac Financial Services
- Diana Laing, Spirit Realty
- Sara Grootwassink Lewis, Weyerhaeuser
- Tim Leyden, Itron
- Scott Maw, Alcon and Chipotle
- Jeanne McGovern, Huntsman
- Michael Montelongo, Conduent
- Jim Morris, Edison International
- John Murphy, Pure Storage
- Steve Orlando, Molina Healthcare
- Jane Peverett, Canadian Pacific Railway
- Kristy Pipes, AECOM, EXL Service Holdings, and Public Storage
- Steve Pizula, Monster Beverage
- Dick Poladian, Occidental Petroleum
- Dilek Samil, Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
- Jim Scilacci, Hawaiian Electric Industries
- Daren Shaw, Ensign Group
- Keith Smith, SkyWest
- Stephanie Streeter, Kohl’s
- Les Sussman, East West Bancorp
- David Tehle, Jack in the Box, National Vision, and US Foods
- Noel Watson, Affirm Holdings
- Wendy Webb, Wynn Resorts