Enhancing audit committee leadership and influence
Audit committees play an extraordinarily important role in corporate governance. They are a critical player in establishing confidence and trust in capital markets by ensuring high-quality, reliable financial reporting. In addition, many audit committees are now charged with overseeing additional risks, including vitally important areas such as cybersecurity.
Chairing the audit committee of a large public company is difficult. There are no one-size-fits-all solutions. Success requires judgment, developed from personal experience and insight from others who have faced similar situations.
Since 2005, the West Audit Committee Network (WACN) has helped its members—the chairs of the audit committees at large public companies—succeed. WACN has two chapters, one that meets twice each year in Northern California and another that meets twice each year in Southern California. In addition, the two chapters meet jointly once each year. The conversations sometimes feature world-class guests, but the members’ voices dominate, and the agendas are driven by the audit chairs.
Tapestry Networks orchestrates the network, building on 15 years of convening board leaders in meaningful conversations. Tapestry helps members prepare for meetings with insightful, original reading material that draws upon tailored research and pre-meeting interviews with members and other leading thinkers. The meetings are synthesized into post-meeting publications that can be shared with colleagues. Everything is done under a non-attribution agreement that ensures candor and protects personal and company confidentiality.
Our members include:
- Kimberly Alexy, Western Digital
- Prat Bhatt, Seagate Technology
- Teresa Briggs, DocuSign, ServiceNow, and Warby Parker
- Susan Cain, Lithia Motors
- Raman Chitkara, Xilinx
- Robyn Denholm, Tesla
- Mitesh Dhruv, ZoomInfo Technologies
- Earl Fry, Hawaiian Holdings
- Mark Garrett, Cisco
- Ken Goldman, GoPro
- Steve Gomo, Micron Technology
- Jeri Hilleman, NovoCure
- Bala Iyer, Power Integrations
- Peter Klein, F5 Networks
- Lou Lavigne, Alector
- Jack Lazar, Resideo Technologies
- Ann Mather, Alphabet, Inc, Arista Networks, and Netflix
- Mary Pat McCarthy, Palo Alto Networks
- Stan Meresman, Snap Inc.
- Betsy Rafael, Autodesk
- Madhu Ranganathan, Akamai Technologies
- Chuck Robel, GoDaddy
- Karen Rogge, Rambus
- Jeannine Sargent, Fortive
- Gretchen Schar, Carter's
- Janice Sears, Invitation Homes
- Sabrina Simmons, Petco
- Steve Sordello, Atlassian
- Hilliard Terry, Umpqua Holdings
- Nina Tran, Apartment Income REIT
- Christine Tsingos, Envista Holdings
- Malia Wasson, Columbia Sportswear
- Julie Whalen, Expedia
- Janet Woodruff, Altus Group