We are looking for an Associate to join our corporate governance group and Audit Committee Leadership Networks team. This team works with the audit committee chairs of the very largest public companies in North America and Europe; the successful candidate will focus heavily but not exclusively on our work in Europe. We regularly interface with global leaders on some of the most important issues in today’s capital markets including ESG, geopolitical risk, cybersecurity, risk oversight, combatting fraud, and effective board leadership. We also lead a network for audit chairs of high growth European companies, addressing the specific oversight challenges unique to boards of rapidly scaling businesses.
Associates play a vital role in the success of our networks and team. They help us plan how to engage with members and clients, help set agendas for our networks, and play the main writing role in our thought leadership. The ideal candidate will have general knowledge of corporate governance issues, with a deep and current grasp of ESG matters, especially in Europe. He or she should also be a skilled writer, able to synthesize multiple perspectives and produce work to a high standard on tight deadlines. The successful candidate will demonstrate executive presence and possess strong research and project management abilities.
Our firm and our Audit Committee Leadership Networks team work remotely; we would be excited to welcome a colleague who enjoys intense team collaboration but who can work independently. A Europe-based candidate would be ideal, but a US-based colleague with strong knowledge of European governance could work as well. A very high standard of oral and written proficiency in English is essential to success in the role.
Research and Thought Leadership
- Conduct primary and secondary research on individuals, companies, and issues central to our members and the capital markets.
- Join calls and meetings with directors, regulators, and executives, taking detailed and well-organized notes in order to produce effective thought leadership.
- Understand and articulate key points, themes and implications from research, interviews, and meetings.
- Write and edit network-related content, client documents, and other published material.
Client and Member Relationship Support
- Participate in network status and strategy meetings, internally and with clients.
- Participate in meetings and discussions with board and executive leaders, senior regulators, and other stakeholders and subject-matter experts.
- Attend network meetings and events (some travel required).
- Anticipate and plan for requirements of meetings, execute tasks in a timely manner, and know when to ask for help.
- Assist in management of content production schedules, network activity timelines, and larger projects and assignments as needed.
- Assist in coaching other staff.
Knowledge and skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills to articulate complex matters clearly and concisely.
- Ability to independently research and analyze issues and identify and recommend credible experts in an issue area
- High standards for work products, accuracy, attention to detail, and timely follow-through
- Ability to interact confidently with board-level and C-level executives
- Track record of multi-tasking, organizing, and prioritizing workload across multiple projects/workstreams and under tight deadline
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgements
- Self-motivated, able to learn quickly, and able to work without detailed supervision
- Open to feedback and learning; open to providing feedback and teaching others
- Ethical, confident, and positive attitude
- Readiness to travel roughly 1 week per quarter, including both the US and Europe
Background and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public policy, law, or other relevant field
- At least 5 years’ experience, either in a professional services firm, finance, journalism, or an institutional or regulatory setting providing exposure to senior leaders.
- Experience with European governance standards and practices, both in the UK/US model and in Continental settings (two-tier boards, labor representation on boards, etc.).
- Current experience with ESG issues, including corporate strategies, disclosure matters, and investor perspectives.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
You will have the opportunity to regularly interact with and learn from global business leaders, boards of directors, and regulators on issues that are frequently “headline news”; you will be part of extremely candid conversations not found anywhere else. Enjoy the flexibility and convenience of a fully remote company coupled with the benefits of occasional in person collaboration and meetings.
APPLY NOW! When applying for the role, please include a cover letter, resume, and writing sample.